User's Guide & Site Help
4. The Basics
4.1.1 Site Header
The site header includes the title banner, which is available on every page of the site. You can always click the title banner to return to the home page.
The links in the top right corner of the site header provide access to information about the site content.
- About: Offers a wide range of general information and details about the content and features in Oxford Biblical Studies Online.
- What's New: Provides information on the latest additions to the site.
- Logout/Login: Your session will automatically log out after 30 minutes of inactivity. You may also choose to log out after you have completed your research.
Once you are logged in, the Quick Search box will be available in the upper left area (beneath the title banner) of all pages on the site. To start exploring, type a word or phrase into the search box and click on the magnifying glass or hit Enter on your keyboard to activate the search.
Directly to the right of the Quick Search box is the Bible Verse Lookup. Selecting this button opens a panel that allows you to go directly to a passage within a selected bible. Saving a selected bible as your default will retain this selection when using this tool.
The Bible Verse Lookup search will automatically open your results in a side-by-side viewing of the selected bible with commentary (if commentary exists for the bible selected). For more information on navigating bible texts, see section 7.1 in this guide.
The links in the secondary navigation below the quick search and bible verse lookup provide information about acessing and using Oxford Biblical Studies Online.
- Subscriber Services: Subscribers to Oxford Biblical Studies Online can access their account details, update account information, retrieve usage statistics, and enable OpenURL access.
- Contact Us: Use this form to submit comments or questions regarding the content of the site, sales inquiries or access and technical problems.
- Help: Users can access this help document to assist them in navigating the site and its features.
You can always click on Oxford Biblical Studies Online in the header to return to the home page.
4.1.2 Site Navigation Bar
Once you are logged in, the site navigation bar beneath the site header presents menus for accessing and exploring site content. When you roll your mouse cursor over the main navigation bar, drop-down menus will offer specific options for Search, Browse, Bible Texts, and Timelines.
At the far right of this navigation bar, select Tools & Resources to access a supplemental area which features study and reference aids for further exploration of Oxford Biblical Studies Online and the field of Bible studies in general.
4.1.3 Article Toolbars
When you are within any type of content page, the left side of the toolbar displays print, email, and cite functions:
- Print opens a new window with a printable version of the article.
- Email opens a new window with a form to fill out to email a link to this page. Recipients of the email will have five (5) days' free access to the page, after which they will need a site subscription.
- Cite opens a new window with citation formatting for the current entry rendered in both MLA and Chicago Manual styles. In addition, the citation can be downloaded and imported into these citation management software programs:
Depending on how you reached the content, you will see some or all of the following tools in the larger part of the toolbar:
- Previous/Next Result: If you came to the content page from a search result or browse list, you can use these links to navigate through the entries on your search results or browse list.
- Results: Click the Results button to return to your search results or browse list.
- Look It Up: With this option you can select any word or phrase from the text with your mouse, then click Look It Up to start a new search on the site for your selected text.
- Highlight On/Off: Use this button to show or hide search term highlighting.
|Roll your mouse over an orange question mark icon for a pop-up description of the function or text preceding it.
|The camera indicates an article that containns an image.
|The globe icon indicates the presence of map content.
|Click on a plus sign to expand a contracted list.
|If an OpenURL icon or logo is visible (the icon shown here is a sample icon), you can click through to search for the cited title within your library's online catalog. Library administrators can go to Subscriber Services to customize the display with your library's OpenURL icon.
4.3. Content Types
The site consists of content types from a number of different sources. These categories are used in the navigation links and are also used to organize content within Search and Browse results. General descriptions of each content type are on the What's Inside page. For details on individual content sources, you can visit the Bible Text Sources and Reference Sources pages.
- Reference content
- Includes: quick dictionary or glossary information; short introductions to Bible books and sections; in-depth signed A-Z entries and chapters on key subjects; reading guides and other research aids.
- Bible texts
- Includes: Bible passages; commentaries; concordances for close Bible study; and collections of source texts or fragments.
- Images & Maps
- Includes: images and maps from reference content and study Bibles that can be browsed, searched and viewed on their own, or within the text of an article.