User's Guide & Site Help
5.7 Search Results
5.7.1 Search Results Ranking and Ordering
The search results you see on your screen are derived from a set of general rules, some of which are adjusted to accommodate the special needs of this web site:
- By default the results of a search are ranked by relevance. This means results are ranked according to the frequency of your term/s occurrence in a document, relative to its occurrence in other documents. When more than one search term is entered, proximity of terms is not considered (except in the case of an explicit "NEAR" query, use of quotation marks, etc).
- Searches use an implicit "and" between terms.
- Searches are case-insensitive when all search terms are in lower-case, and case-sensitive otherwise.
- Searches are diacritic-insensitive when all search terms are entered without diacritics, and diacritic-sensitive otherwise.
- Searches are punctuation-insensitive, unless punctuation is also a common diacritical mark (ex: insensitive to hyphens; aware of apostrophes)
Highest ranking is given to an occurrence of your search term/s in the titles and headwords for content. Subheadings are next in rank. Full text is ranked last.
5.7.2 Navigating Search Results
The content dashboard appears at the top of your search results. The numbers next to each content type in the dashboard will tell you the number of results of each type. You can choose to view (or "filter") the results for a particular content type by clicking on one of the content tabs.
Search Results Navigation Toolbar
The search results navigation toolbar appears at the top of the search results list and gives you the ability to easily navigate your search results. You can move through the search results list page by page (click on Previous or Next), or jump to a particular page (enter page number next to Go to Page # and click Go).
The search results navigation toolbar also appears at the bottom of the page.
General Search Results List
The general results list is where you'll find all of the site content that meets the terms and parameters of your search. For each search result, you will see:
- Entry/Chapter/Document Title
- Content type (see section 4.3 for more detail)
- Image or globe icon (if applicable): The camera icon indicates that an article has an image associated with it; the globe icon indicates that an entry has a map associated with it.
- Context of result: If your search term is found in the entry title, you will see the first few words of the entry. If your search term is found in the entry text, you will see the text surrounding the first occurrence of your search term in the entry.
- Content Source: This indicates the original source of publication.
- On the left-hand side of the search results page, you can Refine Results by one of eleven topics.
- To select multiple topics or subtopics, or to further refine your search, click on the More Search Options link in the left-hand area of the page; this will bring you to the relevant Search form with your search terms and selections already indicated.
Use the options listed under Display Options in the left-hand area of the page to view more results per page. You can also switch from Relevance ranking to Alphabetical. For most searches, the default is Relevance.
Print and Email
The Print button opens a new window with a printable version of the current page of your Search Results.
The Email button opens a new window with a form to fill out to email a link to your Search Results. Clicking on the link in the email will open the same Search Results list.