Denoted by the Hebrew letter aleph. A 4th-cent. CE MS of almost the whole Bible in Greek, together with two other works; written in four columns to a page, it was found by the German scholar Constantin von Tischendorf (1815–74) by chance in the course of two visits to the monastery of St Catherine on Mount Sinai in 1844 and 1859. It was later presented to the Tsar of Russia, and after the Bolshevik revolution passed into the hands of the new regime, by whom it was sold to the British Museum in London in 1933, but its history of discoveries and acquisitions destroyed its unity. Some 347 leaves are not in the British Library, others are in Leipzig and St. Petersburg, and twelve leaves were found in the Sinai monastery in 1975. But from 2009 the whole manuscript is available in digital form.