The symbol employed in textual criticism for a MS of the New Testament in Greek written on parchment in Egypt (Alexandria? Hence known as the Codex Alexandrinus) in the 5th cent. A few leaves containing verses of Matthew, John, and 2 Corinthians are missing, but the two epistles of Clement are added at the end. There are 820 leaves. The MS was presented by the patriarch of Constantinople to the king of England in 1627 and is in the British Library in London.