A liturgical hymn based on the angels' song of Luke 2: 14; in early and medieval times of the Church it formed part of the synaxis (readings and prayers), early in the Eucharist. In the Church of England it was transferred in the Second (1552) Book of Common Prayer to a place preceding the Blessing at the end. Modern rites have restored it to its ancient place.