Discovered in 1868 and broken into pieces by local tribesmen when they realized its value; but reassembled and now in Paris. The inscription, dated about 830 BCE, in a language related to biblical Hebrew, records military successes against Israel by King Mesha and ascribed to the god Chemosh. A fragment of another stone was found in the country of Jordan in 1958.