A pool of water in Jerusalem which served as a reservoir. It was connected by a tunnel to the spring of Gihon and a Hebrew inscription was discovered by two boys in 1880 which explains that the tunnel was dug from each end; it was at once accorded a date not long before 701 BCE, when Sennacherib laid siege to the city; so the tunnel would have been part of the defence system built by Hezekiah (2 Kings 20: 20). But another view, based on archaeological evidence, places the conduit's date in the national recovery during the reign of Hezekiah's son Manasseh. Isaiah mentions that its waters ‘flow gently’ (8: 6). Because the script is now dated during the 8th and 7th centuries BCE, it cannot come from the Hasmonaean era—another conjecture. There is a record in John 9: 7 of Jesus healing a blind man by means of this water. The tower of Siloam (Luke 13: 4) which so disastrously collapsed was part of the fortifications.